🛑 *These questions were provided to me by my cousin Marni Blank. She collected them from various places on the web. I take no authorship.
I am simply sharing since many people have asked for the questions that I used to interview my father. This list is by no means exhaustive.
All that said, I wish you all the best in capturing the lives of those you love most.
-Steve Schlafman @schlaf*
- What year were you born? On what date? What day of the week was it? Did your parents tell you anything about the day you were born?
- Where were you born?
- Why were you given the first (and middle) name(s) that you have?
- What’s your first, most vivid memory?
- What was the apartment or house like that you grew up in? How many bedrooms did it have? Bathrooms?
- What was your bedroom like?
- Can you describe the neighborhood you grew up in?
- Tell me about your parents. Where were they born? When were they born? What memories do you have of them?
- Who was more strict: your mother or your father? Do you have a vivid memory of something you did that you were disciplined for?
- Did your parents have a good marriage?
- How did your family earn money? How did your family compare to others in the neighborhood – richer, poorer, the same?
- What kinds of things did your family spend money on?
- How many brothers and sisters do you have? When were they born? What memories do you have of each of them from when you were growing up?
- Did you have grandparents? Where were they born? When were they born? What do you remember about them? When did they die?
- Did you have any pets?
- What were you like as a child? What did you like to eat? What did you do for fun? What were your favorite toys or games? Did you ever have a secret place or a favorite hiding spot?
- What did you wear?
- Did you get an allowance? How much? Did you spend it right away, or save it? What did you buy? What responsibilities did you have at home when you were young?